Two Idiot Scavengers
The scavengers, Wagner Mota Pereira and Roberto dos Santos Alves, took the device’s source assembly in a wheelbarrow back to Alves’ home, where they tried to dismantle it. They found it extremely difficult to get the thing open. The next day, Pereira experienced diarrhea and dizziness, and his left hand began to swell. He went to a clinic, where his symptoms were diagnosed as an allergic reaction to something he ate, and he was told to rest at home. In the meantime, Alves persisted with the attempts to open the device.
Finally, on September 16th, 1987, after three days, he managed to puncture it with a screwdriver. Inside, he found a glowing blue substance and scooped some of it out. He thought that it might be gunpowder and tried to light it on fire. It didn’t ignite. Two days later, he sold the device to Devair Alves Ferreira, the owner of a nearby scrapyard. Fascinated by the glowing blue substance inside the punctured device, Ferreira figured it might be not just valuable, but outright supernatural, so he took it to his house. Disaster was inevitable.