6. Mauser K98k
The Karabiner 98k is a rifle that was derived from earlier Mauser rifle models. This followed a February 1934 order by the Army Weapons Agency- Heereswaffenamt to have a new military rifle adopted. The initial models include the Karabiner 98b and the Mauser Standardmodell of 1924. Both of these had been developed from the Gewehr 98, an earlier version.
The Mauser Karabiner 98k rifle was designated as Karabiner 98 Kurz, (Carbine 98 Short) because it was shorter than the earlier Karabiner 98b from which it was developed. It, however, shared a lot of similarities with its predecessor, chiefly great accuracy, reliability and an effective range. It boasted up to 1,090 yards with an 8× telescopic sight and 550 yards with iron sights. A controlled-feed bolt-action rifle of the Mauser M 98 system, the Karabiner 98k’s internal magazine can be loaded with five sizes 7.92 by 57mm Mauser cartridges either one by one or from a stripper clip.
While the Gewehr 98 has a straight bolt handle, the Karabiner 98k, on the other hand, features a turned-down bolt handle. As such, the Karabiner 98k’s bolt is easier to operate swiftly. The change reduced the amount projected handle beyond the receiver. It has also made it possible to mount aiming optics directly above the receiver. Each of the Karabiner 98k rifles was fitted out with a short-length cleaning rod through the rifle’s bayonet stud.
This rifle is widely associated with the Germans as all the country’s branches of armed forces used it during World War II. Provided there was anyone German in a war theater- from Europe to North Africa, the Soviet Union to Finland and Norway- there was the Mauser Karabiner 98k rifle. This rifle was powerful. It was initially hard to suppress and was responsible for most of the victory the German forces acquired. It only became less advantageous in the rate of fire when Germany’s American and Soviet enemies started fielding more semi-automatic weapons giving their troops an upper hand. Despite these misgivings, the Karabiner 98k remained the Wehrmacht’s main infantry rifle until the end of the 2nd World War.