Mummies, Palaces, and Booby-Trapped Buildings: 5 Intriguing Ancient Burial Sites
Mummies, Palaces, and Booby-Trapped Buildings: 5 Intriguing Ancient Burial Sites

Mummies, Palaces, and Booby-Trapped Buildings: 5 Intriguing Ancient Burial Sites

Natasha sheldon - April 3, 2017

Mummies, Palaces, and Booby-Trapped Buildings: 5 Intriguing Ancient Burial Sites
The site of the Mesolithic Cemetery of Gross Fredenwalde. Aquilla. Wikimedia Commons

Gross Fredenwalde

On a remote German hilltop, 25 miles from Berlin lies a graveyard that has proved equally challenging to archaeologists. Gross Fredenwalde’s Mesolithic cemetery is one of the oldest in Europe, with its earliest burial dating back 8,500 years-dating it to a time of transition when the hunter-gathering lifestyle was being challenged by early farming.

Mesolithic graves were usually isolated because of the nomadic lifestyle of hunter-gatherers. But Gross Fredenwalde shows a concentration of graves in one place, gradually established over time. It is Europe’s earliest mass cemetery.

The burials seem to reflect the changing times, showing a gradual inclusion of early farmers as well as hunter-gatherers. The oldest burial is that of a six-month-old baby. Traces of red ochre on the child’s bones and in the soil around the grave indicate that the corpse was decorated with the pigment as per Mesolithic burial custom. But analysis of the DNA of the remains and pottery types suggest that later burials belonged to both foragers and farmers who migrated to the area bringing new ideas to the region.

But the most intriguing burial is that of the only adult male found in the graveyard. Buried 7,500 years ago, archaeologists have established he was in his 20s and probably a flint knapper judging from the tools he was buried with and the lack of any wear and tear on his bones. What they cannot explain is the method of his burial, which was vertical rather than horizontal. Based on gnaw marks on the upper body, it is believed that initially he was buried to his knees, leaving his flesh exposed to predators and the elements-a possible example of excarnation, a common Mesolithic practice. Once this process was complete, the grave goods were added and the body fully covered by earth. But the reason for this unprecedented burial remains a mystery.

Mummies, Palaces, and Booby-Trapped Buildings: 5 Intriguing Ancient Burial Sites
Interior of the Sedlec Ossuary. Interfase. Wikimedia Commons

The Sedlec Ossuary

The actions of a nineteenth-century woodcarver at the ossuary at Sedlec in the Czech Republic are equally as perplexing. Sedlec is situated not far from Prague. In the Middle Ages, soil from the holy land was added to the cemetery, making it the place to be buried. The Black Death, followed by the Hussite wars in the fourteenth and fifteenth century ensured it enjoyed plenty of business – so much so it began to run out of space and needed to be enlarged. Matters were made worse by the construction of the Church of All saints in 1400 AD, which displaced a number of graves. With no space to rebury the disturbed dead, the church’s underground chapel was assigned as an ossuary-a storeroom for the orphaned bones.

Initially, the task of sorting the bones was assigned to an elderly, blind monk. Not surprisingly, he made little headway with his task as Sedlec’s ossuary has been calculated to contain between 40,000 and 70,000 skeletons. Little changed throughout the centuries- until 1867, when the local Schwarzenberg family appointed a local woodcarver, Frantisek Rint to sort out the bones.

Rint obliged -but not quite in the way expected. He began by bleaching the bones -and then used them to adorn the chapel. Most of the bones were arranged into four bell-shaped heaps, one for each corner. But the rest were used to provide furnishings and decorations for the chapel. A chandelier formed from at least one example of each bone of the human body, lights the vault, which is festooned with human skulls. Rint even fashioned the Schwarzenburg coat of arms in the chapel out of bones.

Rint’s work took three years and was completed in 1870. What inspired this strange interpretation of his task is not known. Indeed all that we do know of him is his name and occupation, signed on the right-hand wall of the chapel: in bones.

Advertisement